About Me

My photo
Chicago, IL, United States
Michael Carroll has been an active member of the 46th Ward community since he made historic Buena Park his home in 2004. Just seven blocks south of Uptown and three blocks north of East Lakeview, Michael lives in the center of the 46th Ward.

More bad news for residents of the 46th Ward

More bad news for residents of the 46th Ward.

"We’re probably going to have some hearings on it [police hiring]," Beale told [Mick Dumke] Tuesday. "But again, I’m the new chairman [because former chairman Ike Carothers is headed to the federal penitentiary for bribery and tax fraud], and as soon as I walked in I had this contract put on my lap. So I’ve got to figure out all the ordinances before the committee and then we’ll move forward from there. I’m still new, getting my feet wet" (The Chicago Reader, June 8, 2010).

Getting your feet wet is not an excuse when people in our community are continually dealing with crime in front of their homes and on their street corners. That police contract sat for three years and suddenly it was put on your lap? Please. There were only 47 cops hired in 2009 at the nation's second largest police department. Members of City Council must do better. Change is required.

Money must be reallocated and more police officers hired to keep out community safe and secure. When residents do not receive proper police service, we all lose.

No comments:

Post a Comment